- New Frame: With years of experience in designing the most advanced steel frames in offroad, the engineers in Research and Development have designed a completely new chromium molibdenum steel frame that redefines every structural aspect in order to improve handling, ergonomics and packaging. The torsional rigidity and longitudinal stiffness have been completely rethought. The 6mm wider and 2mm lower steel tubes offer 20% more torsional rigidity and 30% less longitudinal stiffness compared to the previous generation frame design. These characteristics, matched to the new engine stays, improve handling precision while at the same time increasing bump-absorption and feeling.
- New CNC Machined Triple Clamps: The black-anodised CNC machined triple clamps feature a new top clamp that integrates a rubber damping system that reduces vibrations, therefore increasing comfort. The triple clamps have been meticulously designed to evenly distribute the clamping force on the fork leg, maximizing contact area for optimal sensitivity and minimum friction. Handlebar position adjustability has been maintained for MY16.
- New Suspension: WP’s 4CS fork has a revised setup to match the new chassis characteristics of the MY16 generation motocross. As with all 4CS forks by WP, the clicker settings can be easily and quickly adjusted via the dials on the top of the fork tubes. The red dial on the right alters rebound damping, while the white dial on the left is for compression damping. A new, shorter and lighter shock by WP features a larger gas chamber designed to maintain consistent performance during use. New internal components, such as the piston and shock shaft increase setup options. A new clevis design contributes to shortening the overall length by 12 mm, while the stroke is reduced by 3 mm. The shock is completely adjustable for high and low speed compression damping as well as rebound. The rear link has been completely redesigned to match the new rear shock. 148.2 mm pull rods replace the previous link’s 145 mm items and, combined with the redesigned bell crank, maintains a similar progressive rate as MY15. Rear wheel travel is now 300 mm and, thanks to the uprated rear suspension behaviour, softer springs can be used.
- New Carbon Fibre Subframe: The use of carbon fibre strips away weight, improving weight distribution and bringing weight closer to the centre of gravity for precise handling. The composition of the material is now 30% carbon fibre and the overall 3-piece construction is 1 kg lighter than the previous subframe, for an overall weight of 1.4 kg. It is also more compact as well as being shorter, for greatly improved ergonomics.
Benchmark Engine Performance
- New Crankcases: The new FC 250 features a completely redesigned engine with mass-centralisation and weight reduction as the main goals. All the major components have been repositioned; the crankshaft has been raised by 6 mm while the clutch shaft is 11.1 mm further back and 26.9 mm higher up. These modifications required a complete redesign of the crankcases which are now significantly more compact and lighter.
- New Engine: The crankshaft has been repositioned and is now 6 mm higher than on the previous engine and, together with a 6 mm shorter con-rod, repositioned internal components and redesigned crankcases, results in a shortened engine by 20 mm, bringing the mass closer to the centre of gravity of the bike. The 250 cc engine is not only smaller, but also 1.1 kg lighter for an overall weight of just 26.1 kg. Overall power output is now rated at 46 hp at the output shaft.
- New DOHC Cylinder Head: The new DOHC cylinder head has an optimised combustion chamber, new camshafts with new timing, 30% harder DLC coating on the finger followers to reduce friction and new valve springs and retainers. The modifications are aimed at boosting low- and mid-range torque as well as peak power.
- New Exhaust System: The exhaust system has been completely redesigned in an effort to improve mass-centralisation and reduce noise. The silencer is 40 mm shorter than on the MY15 FC 250. In conjunction with the new mounting points, the mass is moved approximately 60 mm closer to the centre of gravity of the bike, much improving handling and manoeuvrability.
- Launch Control: On the FC 250 the standard map switch now also activates launch control . With the engine at idle, launch control is engaged via the handlebar map switch, by switching once between the selected map and the alternative map, and then back again. When the fuel injection LED flashes, launch control is engaged. This function limits the amount of power to the rear wheel for approximately two seconds, improving traction and preventing loss of control under hard acceleration.
- New Electric Start: The new electric starting system is more efficient and 150 g lighter and, combined with the new compact battery, saves over 1 kg in overall weight. The wiring harness has been optimised so that the rear subframe can be removed without having to remove any wiring.
- Pro Taper Handlebar: The new Pro Taper handlebar is second to none for function and style. Manufactured to exacting standards, the Pro Taper handlebar features class-leading fatigue resistance while meeting stringent weight requirements. Pro Taper logos are chemically applied and are scratch and peel resistant. The large Husqvarna bar pad has optimal impact resistance, while the standard handguards offer maximum roost protection.
- ODI Grips: The new ODI lock-on grip on the left side does not require gluing, while on the right, the vulcanised grip features an innovative integrated throttle mechanism. The assembly has easy free-play adjustment and, by changing a cam, throttle characteristics can be altered.
Class-Leading Transmission and Brakes
- New Magura Hydraulic Clutch: The FC 250 now features a new Magura hydraulic clutch system. The high quality German-made clutch system guarantees even wear, almost maintenance-free operation and perfect modulation in every condition. This means that play is constantly compensated so that the pressure point and function of the clutch remain identical in cold or hot conditions, as well as over time.
- New CSS Clutch: The 250 cc and 350 cc engines feature CSS (coil spring steel) clutches with Magura hydraulics and lever. The CSS clutch has six coil springs and 7 clutch plates in place of the previous 8-plates, and a new, lighter one-piece CNC machined steel clutch basket. The inner hub and pressure plate have been redesigned to improve oil flow and separation, while the new coil springs give a more consistent feel.
- New Gearbox: The gearbox has been redesigned and is now lighter and more durable. The gear ratios are the same as in the previous generation, but the cogs are wider and the second, third and fourth-gear cogs are surface-treated for increased reliability. The shifting fork has a new low-friction coating for smoother shifting, while the gear lever is designed to prevent dirt build-up. An advanced gear sensor allows for specific engine maps in each gear.
- Brakes: New brake discs from GSK feature increased braking power, combined with class-leading Brembo calipers and controls.
- Design: Single-cylinder, 4-stroke, spark-ignition engine, liquid-cooled
- Displacement: 249.91 cm³
- Bore: 78 mm
- Stroke: 52.3 mm
- Starting aid: electric starter
- Transmission: 5-speed, claw shifted
- Engine lubrication: Forced oil lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps
- Primary ratio: 24:73
- Secondary gear ratio: 13:50
- Cooling system: Liquid cooling system, continuous circulation of cooling liquid with water pump
- Clutch: Wet multi-disc CSS-clutch, Magura hydraulics
- Ignition system: Contactless, controlled, fully electronic ignition system with digital ignition timing adjustment
- Frame: Central tube frame made of chrome molybdenum steel tubing
- Forks: WP Suspension Up Side Down 4CS
- Shock absorber: WP Monoshock with linkage
- Suspension travel Front: 300 mm
- Suspension travel Rear: 300 mm
- Brake system Front: Disc brake with two-piston floating brake caliper
- Brake system Rear: Disc brake with single-piston floating brake caliper
- Brake discs - diameter Front: 260 mm
- Brake discs - diameter Rear: 220 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 63.9°
- Wheel base: 1,485±10 mm
- Ground clearance (unloaded): 370 mm
- Seat height (unloaded): 960 mm
- Total fuel tank capacity approx.: 7 l Unleaded premium fuel (95 RON)
- Weight without fuel approx.: 100.1 kg